Sunday, November 13, 2016

Kamini Kusum: "Women Empowerment is good but trying to extend its horizon beyond a limit could be dangerous." (Interview) !!!



An Interview with the debutante authoress, Kamini Kusum, who have just released her first novel, "Secrets, Sins & Struggles". She have written 5 stories in her first book itself. Let's see what she has to say about this and her journey as writer.

1. Dear Kamini, how does it finally feel after becoming an author and getting that tag? What changes do you find in your life after the release of the book?

It’s a dream come true. Though I had been writing for years now- articles and short stories. Some of stories had been awarded and appreciated for creativity in my organization but with “Secrets, sins and struggles”, I become a published author. Feeling great!!


2. Tell us something about your book- Secret, Sins & Struggles.

It has five stories about five women. It’s about the lives and loves of these women, tracing their long, eventful journeys that are anything but linear. 
Pooja, a teenager forced into the flesh trade but determined to escape and get justice. Shrawani who dreams of becoming a bureaucrat despite all the trials life throws her way. Avni who is torn between her childhood friend and her brand-new boyfriend. Harsha who is trapped in a loveless arranged marriage while still being haunted by thoughts of her forsaken lover.  Geshna who falls head over heels for a high school sweetheart only to find her own life shrinking to accommodate his. 
These stories are about the odds stacked against women in their path to love and success. They are also about hope that the next turn will lead to the happiness and success they all long for. 


3. What made you write a book with 5 different stories and not just one with good 200-250 pages?

When I had started writing this, I knew I had to get it out to the world by all means as it has great messages to convey not just to women but everybody. Also, I knew that the stuff and the way I am writing is absolutely nowhere in trend in Indian market of Fiction. But that didn’t deter me. It was the best way to bring out the protagonists in the book; one single story couldn’t have done justice to it.


4. Did you research and talk with different ladies while writing this book or you created the story and emotions yourself?

Well, these stories are not completely imaginary. All these five stories have many real incidents that inspired me to pen down. For first story, I literally walked down the GB road (the red light area) in Delhi to bring a picture perfect in my story. “Madam Bureaucrat” is more or less one of my friend’s story with a little bit of  writer’s imagination. Rest other stories too are realistic.


5. Do you believe that girls in India misunderstand something else as women empowerment and fight for wrong things?

Yes, I agree. Nobody is perfect and absolutely mature and when this cloud of immaturity settles down, then they understand the reality. Empowerment is good but trying to extend its horizon beyond a limit could be dangerous.


6. How easy or hard did you feel in finding a publisher for your first book as it’s not very easy for debutante authors in India?

I didn’t approach any traditional publisher. I knew for a new author, its like waiting for ages to see your work out. I had a solid story and I believe it will be loved. I approached Zorba Books which is a self publishing company. They helped me bring this beautiful baby of me out to the world.


7. How has been your association with Zorba Books till now? How did they help you in publishing your book?

They are a fantastic team headed by a strong lady, Shalini Gupta. They did it all for me giving a big control to me throughout the publishing process making me an authorpreneur.


8. Can you tell us something about your next book? 

I  have completed 40% of my next book which is an inspirational love story. A very realistic story ; full of emotions. Though I am too much into promoting “Secrets, sins and struggles”, I intend to complete my next book by mid next year.


9. Where do you see yourself as a writer in next 5 years or in long-term?

I am a big Danielle Steel fan. I would love to churn out 2-3 three novels a year just like her. Being in a hectic corporate job, it’s difficult. Let’s see what’s there stored for me.


10. Any words for your readers who are picking up your book as their next-read?

I assure you, you won’t stop in between and will be hooked till the last page.



0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Book Reviewer | Movie Reviewer | Bibliophile | Business Analyst