Sunday, August 17, 2014

I too had a dream by Verghese Kurien (Book Review-4.75*/5)!!!



       In 2012, when Verghese Kurien expired, I came to know that he's the one who made Amul a success story and Operation Flood possible. I wanted to read more about him as the newspapers didn't provide every information I was dying to know. I checked it on Flipkart and found that he has an autobiography by the name "I too had a dream". It's been scribbled by Gouri Salvi as Verghese Kurien was too old to indulge himself in writing a book. However, I didn't get chance to pick this book from last 2 years and finally, as I am done reading it, I am regretting my decision of delaying it till now. The 250-pages book is published by Roli Books, a publisher I respect immensely. The kind of books they publish tells their intention. They are wanting to change the minds of people by spreading great stories, usually non-fictions.
   

           I was sure that Verghese Kurien would have discussed how he sacrificed friendships, slumber, movies and worked single-handed-ly to make Amul a success story. But I was surprised when I found that he didn't discuss his personal life as such and only focused the book towards milk industry and how he contributed into it. The book teaches us a very different orientation towards leadership, management and power. Verghere Kurien was surely a man of his principles and therefore he never got scared by anyone and even in his autobiography, he has taken names without any fear which makes it more interesting to read. 

             The kind of motivation, confidence and learning this book has provided, I remember only one book that can be added in the same league- A.P.J Abdul Kalam's Wings of Fire. The amount of work Verghese Kurien has done for farmers, animals, milk production and our country is worth commendable. He discusses even the controversies and criticisms(on him) by ministers/competitors openly which shows that he has no intentions of hiding even his shortcomings. He also discusses at one point of time that he was a bit of autocratic too. Last few pages of the books are very emotional as Verghese Kurien starts giving his final takes on few things and you realize that he's leaving us in few pages. He clearly expresses the amount of respect he has for his seniors and the people who allowed him to work his way. Reading the moments of Tribhuvandas Patel's death in the end made me weep. A very motivational book and only one of its kind. I give it 4.75*/5.


 Thanks.

 ABHILASH RUHELA - VEERU!!!

1 comments:

Destination Infinity said...

I read this book before around four years, and loved it. You are right - there is very less self indulgence, and more about Amul.

I don't remember reading about Tribhuvandas Patel? In fact, I remember wondering what happened to him and why nothing was written about him after the brief introduction. Maybe this is a revised edition?

Also, thanks for that thumbs up to Wings of Fire. I have it, but yet to read. Will read the book soon.

Destination Infinity

About Me

My photo
Book Reviewer | Movie Reviewer | Bibliophile | Business Analyst